Start your SEO project with SEO Checklist 2019
of online activities begin with a search engine
searches are performed on Google every second
of all Google searches are local
search engine market share is of Google
These statistics should be enough to make you work on the SEO project for driving traffic to your website or your client’s website.
So without further delay let’s start with our SEO checklist 2019. This checklist should help you with your SEO project from start to end.
[Note**: This blog is for SEO beginners and experts to ensure they are on track with their SEO activities. If you are new to the world of SEO then please read “What is SEO” before going further. Thank you.]
SEO can be divided into 4 parts for ease of working and understanding which are:
- Keyword Planning
- On-Page Optimization
- Off-Page Optimization
- Monitoring and Optimization
Hence we will divide our checklist into 4 sections as well.
1) Keyword planning
This is the most fundamental part of SEO, you cannot afford to go wrong here. As you will be integrating these keywords in further parts of your SEO project, which are on-page optimization and off-page optimization. Here is the checklist which is ideal to do your keyword planning:
- Understand your products/service in terms of what needs they serve.
- Understand the Target Audience in depth such that their consumer behavior is on the tip of your tongue (To up your SEO game prefer developing consumer personas).
- Competition Analysis know which competitors’ website comes on the 1st page of Google search engine, learn about their content, the traffic to the site, etc.
- Insights from your customer interfacing team (optional | and this will be completely dependent on your line of business).
- Create a list of keywords and run through the tools (like keyword planner).
- Website Structure development and distribution of keywords.
- Shortlist 2-5 Keywords per page.
2) On-Page Optimization Checklist
On-page optimization can be structured in 4 sections for developing the checklist.
1) Content Level
- Ideally, a webpage should have 300 to 500 words & a blog post should have 750 words + (possibly more than 1200 words).
- Keyword density should be around 1% to 2%.
- Keywords should be included in the 1st 100 words of the webpage or the blog post.
- Headings should have keywords (Focus on H1 & H2).
- Use synonyms of the keywords.
- Ensure there are no spelling mistake or grammar mistake or plagiarism.
2) Code Level Changes
- Media like image, video or pdf should have a filename that is related to your content. Try using keywords while naming the media file.
- Alt text or alternate attribute can be used to add keywords related to your content.
- The snippet is the most crucial part. Looking at the snippet your audience decides whether or not to click on your website that populates in the search engine result. A snippet is a combination of:
- Title Tag: Ensure the keyword is present in the title tag. Adding the keyword should not mean that you should not make it interesting. It should be super interesting. Length of the title is 50-60 characters long.
- URL: URL is the combination of your domain name and the slug. The slug should consist of the keywords
- Meta Description: Lenght of the meta-description should be in between 50 to 300 characters.
3) Hygiene Factors effecting On Page Optimization
By hygiene, I mean, these are the few things you should take care of.
- Page loading speed should be less than 4s.
- Page UI, the look and feel, layout, navigation of your website should be easy and interesting as per your target audience.
- Canonicalization, ensure to add a canonical tag in case you create duplicate pages.
- Ensure your website has no broken link.
- 301 Redirect: permanent redirection is very important to fix broken links or in case you delete certain pages on your site.
- Robots.txt should be present on your website’s server
- Sitmap.xml & Sitemap HTML should be present on your website’s server
- HTTPS – SSL certificate. This is a must these days.
- Internal Links, this will help to redistribute your website’s traffic and help in overall SEO ranking.
- Use keywords as anchor text, whenever possible while linking internally within the website or while giving forward links.
- Delete the zombie pages. Zombie pages are the once who are not attracting or retaining ay traffic.
3) Off-Page Optimization
Generating relevant backlinks that drive high-quality traffic to your website is the objective of Off-Page optimization. Here are the types of websites from where you can generate traffic to your website.
- Directory Submission
- Influencer Marketing
- Press Release
- Guest Blogging
- Content Site
- Forum Participation
- Social Media Presence
- Article Submissions
4) Monitoring and Optimization
Monitoring is vital for all kinds of marketing activity. And so we should closely monitor SEO performance as well. Use Google Search Console and Google Analytics to begin monitoring the SEO performance. Of course, there are various tools to monitor SEO performance, but let’s stick to these 2 for now.
These are few things which you should carefully monitor:
- For which keywords are you getting traffic for. And are these the keywords that you were planning to get the traffic or are these keywords at least relevant to your business.
- On which SERP position does your website rank for the given set of crucial keywords.
- How many impressions are you receiving?
- Which region and device are you receiving the impressions, on SERP?
- How many clicks are you getting? Hence what is the CTR?
- Are the people visiting your website staying or bouncing off?
- What is the average session duration of the visitors on your website, who are coming via SEO efforts?
I hope this SEO checklist 2019 will help you to rank your website high on SERP. In case you any queries or questions do contact me.
All the best! Take care.